Calibrating and testing of the Rain Gauge
Created by: Agnes Fuchs
Modified on: Wed, 22 Mar, 2023 at 2:00 PM
To calibrate the rain gauge you need:
- Assembled rain gauge with double spoon, magnet, bridge, set screws and metal plate
- Ring wrench no 7
- Rain bucket
- 5ml pipette which takes up exactly 4ml water we use 1-5ml Axygen® Axypet® Single Pipettor
You have to adjust the Pipette that it takes up exactly 4ml of distilled water.
- Distilled water
- Thread-lock fluid to secure the set screws
Make sure that the rain bucket is levelled and that the double spoon is moving easily when it is tipping sideways.
Start to testing / calibrating
- Start with the left side - this means left side of the double spoon is up.
- Adjust the Pipette that it takes up exactly 4ml of distilled water.
- Before you take up water for the first time rinse the pipette (This means take up distilled water, turn the tip of the pipette up, then turn the tip down and release the water into the container for the distilled water.
- When you take up the water with the pipette make sure to do it slowly so no bubbles develop inside the pipette
- Then put the water slowly into the left side of the spoon
- If the left spoon doesn't empty itself, the right set screw has to be set higher
- If the left spoon empty itself before 4ml are in it or the pipette is not empty, the right screw has to be set lower
- Try until the left spoon empties itself when its full with 4ml and no drop drops into the right spoon.
- After each try, dry the left spoon with a cloth, so that the result doesn't get adulterated and is for sure correct.
- Start with the right side - this means right side of the double spoon is up.
- If the right spoon doesn't empty itself, the left set screw has to be set higher
- If the right spoon empty itself before 4ml are in it, the left screw has to be set lower
- Try until the right spoon empties itself when its full with 4ml and no drop drops into the left spoon.
- After each try, dry the right spoon with a cloth, so that the result doesn't get adulterated and is for sure correct.
- Please check both sides of the double spoon after each other again to be sure its correct, otherwise readjust the side which is not correct.
- When both sides of the double spoon are correct secure the set screw with a thread-lock fluid and let it dry
- Take your time the whole process takes at least 5min.
Agnes is the author of this solution article.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.